Saturday 29 March 2014

Alternate plan

I had some grey drill put away to make little man some shorts for next summer but he saw it this morning and asked if it could be pants instead. We are heading into Autumn and while it does not get cold here it does cool down compared to what we are used to so pants are useful and the drill is not too thick as to make them uncomfortably warm.

A pair of simple pants has been cut from the same pattern as the previously sewn shorts but to make them a little different I omitted the large side pocket (partly due to insufficient fabric) and added instead a hammer loop coming from the small back pocket and a narrow pocket beneath it.

The pants are loosely cut and with these additions look similar to carpenters pants and, while he is only 8 and doesn't need these features, they help give an interest to otherwise plain pants. The loop and pocket is pictured here and because I didn't have a pattern I just made it up as I went along.

They may or may not form part of the SWAP for Stitchers Guild but that will depend on what I can make to go with them. Due to fabric limitations I could not make them any longer and while they are the right length now he will probably out grow them in no time at all but that is not a problem as I will simply cut them off and convert them into the shorts I intended to make in the first place.

EDIT: I have just cut a sleeveless t-shirt from the remnants of the already made black long sleeve t-shirt but that's as far as I have got.

No comments:

Post a Comment