Monday 7 December 2015

Ressurection ...

While moving boxes about in the garage looking for Christmas decorations this week I unearthed my dear old overlocker. She is a Husqvarna Huskylock 580 that I have had for over 23 years. She has been a bit neglected in the past I don't know how many years as it is hard to sew when you are struggling with RA and possibly Polymyositis, have 4 boys to look after, are doing a Uni degree and have no sewing space.

That said, I brought her out, dusted her off, gave her some new needles and plugged her in. Once the tension dials were set to say I was surprised is an understatement. Just look at this ....


She is sewing like she is new out of the box! Considering I thought she would be past her use by date and needing to be replaced this came as a great surprise. She has been resurrected!

Yesterday I cut out a muslin for the Patterns 4 Pirates Free Spirit Tank using a very fine stretch mesh. I have sewn together the shoulders and sides and so far so good, the fit seems fine and so does the length. Winning.

The patterned knit is so sheer however that you can see right through it. There are three solutions I can think of to this problem ...

1, Wear a cami underneath it
2. Sew a second tank in the same fabric and join it together at the neck and armholes before sewing on the neck and arm bands (making one slightly longer than the other).
3. Sew a second separate tank of another fabric, slightly longer and in a contrast plain fabric, to peek out from underneath this one but also to be worn alone.

I am undecided which way I will go but either way it should be done in the next few days. If I don't get to it today I have my brother in law's funeral to attend tomorrow, so I might not get back to it till Wednesday. Either way it is so nice having an overlocker to use, it makes finishing seams so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment